Carpet cleaners are great devices to have around the house especially when you have a problem of spilling and dropping dirt on the floor. They are great for carpets that have thick fibers and often harbor dirt in between the fibers. The brushes located at the bottom often loosen the dirt to make cleaning easier. The suction power in a specific model often determines whether it is the best carpet cleaning machine as it determines how much dirt it can help remove. The tanks often help in storing water for usage and the larger the tank the less refills you may need. Most carpet cleaner reviews feature various models some of which are ideal for families or homes with pets. Such models take care of pet dirt and also help remove pet hairs from the carpet. Such a machine is a worthy investment as it makes the task of cleaning up carpets all the more easier.
- Hoover FH50150
- Heated cleaning: yes
- Cleaning brushes: SpinScrub Technology
- Tools: SpinScrub Powered Hand Tool, Stair Tool, Upholstery Tool, Crevice Tool, 16 oz. Solution and Mesh Tool Storage Bag
- Other: Fast Dry Time, Wash/Rinse Selector, Automatic Detergent, 3 speeds
- Bissell 86T3/86T3Q
- Heated cleaning: no
- Cleaning brushes: Rotating DirtLifter PowerBrushes
- Tools: 6" Stair Tool, 2X Professional Deep Cleaning Formula, 9' Upholstery Hose
- Other: Flow Indicator, Large capacity clean and dirty tanks
- Bissell 3624
- Heated cleaning: no
- Cleaning brushes: superior suction
- Tools: 3" Tough Stain Brush and 6" Stair Tool, 8oz Professional Deep Cleaning formula
- Other: 5 flex hose, combines vacuum suction, brushing action and cleaning solution
- Bissell 17N4
- Heated cleaning: yes
- Cleaning brushes: 12 rows of dual rotating Powerbrushes
- Tools: pet hair collection basket, 3 inch Tough Stain Brush, Deep Reach Tool, trial size bottle of Bissell's 2X Professional Formula
- Other: Heatwave Technology, EdgeSweep brushes and Surround Suction
- Rug Doctor
- Heated cleaning: no
- Cleaning brushes: handheld oscillating motorized brush
- Tools: removable water tanks
- Other: 2X suction, Rug Doctor's exclusive technology
- Bissell 8852
- Heated cleaning: yes
- Cleaning brushes: Six cleaning rows on the DirtLifter brush
- Tools: EdgeSweep Brushes, stair tool
- Other: Heatwave Technology, EdgeSweep Brushes, 2-in-1 tank system
Top 6 Carpet Cleaners Reviewed
Hoover Power Scrub FH50150 Carpet Cleaner
The Hoover Power Scrub FH50150 ranks among the best carpet cleaners to buy not only because it is light weight but because it is well designed making it easy to use. It only weighs 18.1 pounds and can be moved around easily. It has an easy to clean dual tank system installed.
The dual tank system helps in separating the clean water or the solution water from the dirty water. The dirty water tank is spill free and has a quick pour spout. This allows for emptying of the tank without making a mess. It is also made using the spinscrub technology. The technology includes a counter rotating brush that rotates 360 degrees enabling you to clean surrounding carpet fibers.
The model also features a dual V nozzle that provides a powerful and an edge to edge cleaning that is consistent each time cleaning is done. The forced heated air allows for a fast dry time making it all the more convenient.
It also has a wash and rinse selector. This allows you to wash the carpet with soap and water solution and rinse it with water only so as to remove the soap from the carpet. It provides a cleaning device not only for carpets but also for upholstery and car interiors among other uses. It measures 21.5 x 14.5 x 23.5 inches with a great design that makes it easy for storage. It also has an 8 ft. ready to use hose that also acts as an upholstery tool. This allows it to be used even in hard to reach areas.
BISSELL Big Green 86T3 Carpet Cleaning Machine
The best carpet washers often have features that make them clean better and dry faster such as the BISSELL Big Green 86T3. It has a rotating dirt filter that is accompanied by power brushes that give the device more dirt removing power. The machine also helps in removing tough spots and stains that may be hard to remove with regular cleaning materials.
The long reach hose is convenient for cleaning areas that are hard to reach with the whole device. The tough stain tool also makes cleaning easier in places such as stairs. The carpet extractor also has a flow indicator that easily shows you the flow of water and how much clean water is left. The indicator will monitor the water level and the solution level. This way you get to easily know when to refill the tanks and when to empty them.
It has dual tanks that have a large capacity reducing the number of times you need to refill them. The tanks are also removable thus emptying and refilling is made easier and more convenient.
The carpet cleaner measures 20.5 x 11 x 42.2 inches. The tank handle is adjustable for easy manipulation when cleaning. The power brushes and dirt filter rotate to about 360 degrees thus easing the process of cleaning. The attachments include a cleaning hose and a 6 inch stair tool. The color of the device is green, which is a subtle color for a cleaning device. Its design makes it easy to store and maintain as the tanks are easily cleaned.
BISSELL SpotClean 3624 Home Carpet Cleaner
The BISSELL SpotClean 3624 carpet extractor is ideal not only for cleaning carpets but also upholstery, stairs and the insides of a car among other places. The five flex hose that comes with it enhances its usage as it can be used to clean hard to reach areas and also eliminates need for constant moving of the machine. It also facilitates cleaning of areas such as stairs area, rugs and upholstery.
The attachments of this carpet extractor include a 6 inch stair tool designed specifically for cleaning the stairs, 3 tough stain tools to help in dealing with hard to remove stains on carpets and an 8 oz. deep cleaning formula that is used as a detergent for cleaning the carpets. The deep cleaning formula can be bought separately once the original quantity provided is finished.
The model is featured as a top carpet cleaner due to its easy to comprehend design that makes it lightweight and compact. It has a long reach power cord that is about 22” for easy cleaning that can be done away from the power socket.
The carpet extractor measures 10 x 14 x 14 inches and weighs 17 pounds thus easy to carry up the stairs or around the house as you do the cleaning. The design also makes it easy to store. The tanks have a large capacity warranting fewer refills as the water can be used to clean larger areas. It is better than regular rags and cleaners due to the superior suction power that enables it to easily remove stains and tough spots on carpets.
BISSELL DeepClean 17N4 Carpet Cleaner
This Bissell DeepClean 17N4 would make the best carpet extractor for those who have pets as it helps remove pet stains and also eliminate any bad odors that may still linger in the carpets. It is efficient as compared to other pet carpet cleaning systems that are upright. It also offers professional style results as the carpet cleaner offers a superior clean.
The carpet extractor features a heat wave technology that enables it to maintain constant water temperature throughout the period that you are using it for cleaning. It has 12 rows of dual power brushes that rotate. This makes it ideal for cleaning carpets that have thick fibers as it can reach in and remove the dirt. The 12 rows also ensure that all areas are covered in one sweep.
In addition to that, the carpet cleaner has edge sweep brushes that ensure even the edges and areas against baseboards are cleaned and hard to reach areas are also taken care of. The surfaces are then enabled to dry faster due to the presence of the surround suction.
When purchasing this carpet extractor, the machine has various attachments such as a pet hair collection basket which may cause allergic reactions if left in the carpets, 3 inch tough stain brush, a deep reach tool, and a warranty for three years. It also includes a bottle of Bissell’s 2X Professional Formula given to users for a trial basis as a cleaning formula for their carpets. It has a 22 ft. cord length weighs 25 lbs. or less and has a 1.25 tank capacity eliminating the need for constant refills.
Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner
The Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner is a model that is very portable facilitated by the carpet friendly wheels that make it easy to maneuver around the carpet when cleaning and also to move it when it is not being used for cleaning.
Most models featured in carpet cleaner reviews do not have wheels, thus this feature makes it a unique model. It has a 2 times suction power enabling it to remove spots and clean deep down in carpets.
Rud Doctor carpet extractor also has a function for removal of stains that are deeply rooted that is enhanced by the oscillating motorized brush that is handheld and very powerful. Other than that it features the rug doctor’s technology that powers the brushes and enables them to do all the scrubbing that is needed.
It has a retractable handle that facilitates easy maneuvering of the device as well as easy storage. The tanks are easily removed which makes refilling not only a fast undertaking but also a conveniently easy one. This also makes them easier to clean and maintain the whole device in good condition.
The tanks also have a large capacity thus do not need to be refilled regularly. It measures 12.5 x 17.6 x 17.4 inches and weighs about 20.2 pounds. It has a long hose to help in cleaning hard to reach areas. The small design makes it easy to store. It is also red in color. The power cord and the hose are on opposite sides of the machine and the user does not have to worry about the two entangling while cleaning.
BISSELL DeepClean 8852 Deep Carpet Cleaner
The BISSELL DeepClean 8852 ranks among the best value carpet cleaners as it features all the specifications that make cleaning carpets easier and more convenient.
The heat wave technology used by it helps in maintaining constant water temperatures while cleaning. It ensures that water does not go above desired temperatures nor does it fall below them.
This carpet extractor has six cleaning rows for the brushes ensuring each area of the carpet is well covered. The six rows also ensure that dirt is first loosened and then removed from the carpet leaving it without stuck in dirt.
The tanks have a large capacity that facilitates holding enough water to warrant fewer refills during cleaning. They can also be easily removed thus can be emptied and filled easily. This also makes them easy to clean and maintain.
The edge sweep brushes are beneficial in cleaning against baseboards and around furniture. They make sure that all areas are cleaned. It has a stair tool that makes it easy to clean stairs without having to keep lifting the whole device during the whole process. It also makes cleaning stairs faster. It also has onboard storage for storing the tools that come with it. This eventually uses less space when storing and also ensures you do not misplace any of the tools used in cleaning. It also comes with an 8 oz. trial for the Bissell deep clean formula. Once the formula is finished it can be purchased separately. It measures 20 x 11.5 x 43 inches and weighs less than 20 pounds.
Best Carpet Cleaning Machine Comparison Chart
|Product name||Heated cleaning||Technology||Tools||Other|
|Hoover FH50150||yes||SpinScrub Technology||SpinScrub Powered Hand Tool, Stair Tool, Upholstery Tool, Crevice Tool, 16 oz. Solution and Mesh Tool Storage Bag||Fast Dry Time, Wash/Rinse Selector, Automatic Detergent, 3 speeds|
|Bissell 86T3/86T3Q||no||Rotating DirtLifter PowerBrushes||6" Stair Tool, 2X Professional Deep Cleaning Formula, 9' Upholstery Hose||Flow Indicator, Large capacity clean and dirty tanks|
|Bissell 3624||no||superior suction||3" Tough Stain Brush and 6" Stair Tool, 8oz Professional Deep Cleaning formula||5 flex hose, combines vacuum suction, brushing action and cleaning solution|
|Bissell 17N4||yes||12 rows of dual rotating Powerbrushes||pet hair collection basket, 3 inch Tough Stain Brush, Deep Reach Tool, trial size bottle of Bissell's 2X Professional Formula||Heatwave Technology, EdgeSweep brushes and Surround Suction|
|Rug Doctor||no||handheld oscillating motorized brush||removable water tanks||2X suction, Rug Doctor's exclusive technology|
|Bissell 8852||yes||6 cleaning rows on the DirtLifter brush||EdgeSweep Brushes, stair tool||Heatwave Technology, EdgeSweep Brushes, 2-in-1 tank system|
How to Find the Best Carpet Cleaner – Buying Guide
Finding the best carpet cleaning machine may be a bit of a hassle for a new user. However for a user looking to replace their old carpet cleaner the process may be much easier. When looking for what is the best carpet cleaner in the market it is important to consider the type of carpet cleaner, the features it has, any additional tools it may have its ease of usage and the budget that you need to work with.
Type of Carpet Cleaner
Different types of carpet cleaners will have different features that are easier to use in some situations that in others. Before getting it is important to find out the type of carpet cleaner that has features you are looking for.
Upright carpet steam cleaners.
This is the traditional design that is most prevalent in the carpet cleaning arena. They are also comparatively cheaper than the canister models. This makes them an ideal choice for a user working with a tight budget. The advantage of steam cleaners includes the fact that they provide a wider cleaning swath as compared to the canisters. They are also better at deep cleaning carpets especially those with thick fibers. They can also be easily stored due to their design.
However, such models may be disadvantageous as you are required to drag the entire machine back and forth so as to attain clean carpets. They also tend to weigh about 20 pounds even though lighter models can also be found. These types of carpet cleaners are also observed to be noisier as compared to other types.
Portable carpet spot cleaners.
Portable carpet spot cleaners are easier to move around and are good when you need to clean a particular spot and not the entire carpet. Different models can be used for this. They may include different models of carpet cleaners that have different features such as the power head and the hose separate from the entire body and can be easily manipulated. Such models are good for cleaning under carpets and in hard to reach areas. They are also quite bulky and storage may be harder as compared to upright models.
Others include central carpet cleaners that have no body to pull. All you need to carry is the hose and the power head. Such types are however pricey even though they are convenient. They may also require professional installation after purchase. They do not need to be emptied frequently and are often quieter than others. On the down side, the long hose often makes them harder to store.
Portable carpet spot cleaners are often more convenient since they have features that facilitate cleaning of hard to reach areas such as under furniture and along the walls. Most of them are ideal for use when cleaning the stairs. They may however have not unit space for you to store tools whilst they are cleaning.
Hand-held carpet cleaners.
Carpet cleaner ratings may not favor handheld carpet cleaners as compared to the other two types. They are considered miniature electric models as they are small so as to be easily maneuvered. Such types are best for light cleaning and also quick surface cleaning done on carpets that are sort pile carpets. Some can also be used in removing pet hairs from carpets and upholstery. These models are also useful in cleaning the interior of a car as they can be easily manipulated. They may be corded or cordless. Cordless models are often best as it does not limit the distance you can cover while cleaning.
On the down side, such models lack the power and the capacity that is often exhibited by larger models. Larger models can clean larger areas and also can clean tough stains and remove deep rooted dirt from carpets. Since they are handheld, they require you to keep bending when cleaning surface floors and carpets. They may be ideal for a home situation which requires extensive carpet cleaning.
- Other types – Other types may include the full sized cleaners that are light and less bulky. They work by scrubbing the carpet using a water and soap solution and then vacuum up the dirt and the water. The compact carpet cleaners are also easier to maneuver and are often used to tackle stains and small cleaning jobs. There is also the stick carpet cleaner that provides smaller cleaning surface area and less power and cleaning capacities. Such models are often battery powered and are best suited for picking surface litter that is not rooted deep within the fibers of the carpet. The robotic carpet cleaners are more expensive and eliminate need for putting any effort in the carpet cleaning process as they do all the work. However, such models are not yet perfected and not the best option.
Important Features available
The features available in a carpet cleaner will determine whether it will meet your specific carpet cleaning needs.
- Moving brushes – The brushes available in a carpet cleaner determine whether they will be able to reach the deeply rooted dirt in the carpet. Rotating brushes give a better scrub as compared to having a fixed brush or no brush at all.
- Large tank – The tanks can be single or double tanks. Double tanks are better as refilling and emptying is easier. Also the clean water does not mix with the dirty water. A large capacity tank is best since it reduces the number of times you may need to empty out the tanks and fill them again. Tanks should also be removable as it makes refilling easier as well as cleaning them.
- Tank indicator lights – a tank indicator light is important as it notifies you when the tanks needs a refill and also if they need to be emptied. This is a convenient feature found in most top rated carpet cleaners as it makes it easy to concentrate on the cleaning and not on the level of water in the tanks.
- Tank shutoff – This is a sensor operated shut off that will help in stopping the extractor from suctioning when the tank holding the dirty water is full. It is a great safety mechanism for the device.
- Long Hose – A hose is especially important in facilitating cleaning of areas that are hard to reach. It also helps eliminate the need for pulling the whole machine with you when cleaning. This is especially beneficial when the machine is heavy and hard to maneuver.
- Soap dispenser that is separate – This feature allows the soap dispenser to dispense the detergent into the water for cleaning. It then closes off allowing for rinsing with clean water.
Additional features and tools
Additional features differ from one model to the other. However a model that provides additional tools is often best since it increases its functionality and its efficiency. Some of the additional tools may include:
- Stair tool – Most stair tools provided for are often 6 inches. This tools increase efficiency in cleaning the stairs as they are easily maneuverable and also can be carried easily as they are small and light.
- Tough stain tool – Such a tool is best for someone who is always dealing with tough stains lingering on the carpet. In most cases it measures 3 inches and is efficient in removing the stains.
- Long power cord – A long power cord may be an additional feature for the model you are looking for. Users with a limited number of power sockets in the house may find a long power cord useful. It is also best to find a model that has the power cord and the hose in different sides of the device as it reduces chances of entanglement while using it.
- Ease of use – Your carpet cleaner comparison before purchase should consider the ease of use. The ease of use is dependent on the size of the machine as well as the features provided. This may include easy refilling tanks, features that allow reach into hard to clean areas and areas under furniture, features that allow easy maneuvering of the device and also a lightweight model as it is more portable.
- Budget – The best home carpet cleaner machine should not leave you broke. You need to look for a model that fits in your budget. It is always best to look at different models. Once you find various options that fit your budget then you can pick the best. However, you need to ensure that you get a model from a respectable manufacturer as this may determine the durability of the device. Cheap at times may be expensive.
Carpet cleaning machines may at times require you to use the cleaning formulas provided by the manufacturers or else you will have voided your warranty. It is important to enquire of this before getting one. At times it may be best to consider the pros and cons of using a rental carpet cleaner as compared to buying one before you decide to buy one.
How to Use a Carpet Cleaner
Buying the best deep carpet cleaner may be a better alternative to renting as you get to clean the carpets whenever you want. Some are meant for cleaning the entire house while others are just spot cleaners. Before cleaning it is important that you ensure you have all that you need in hand. These include the detergent or cleaning formula you intend to use, water and a paper towel that may be used to clean the brushes.
- Prepare the carpet – This involves removing anything that may come in the way of the carpet cleaner such as any portable furniture or pet toys for instances when you intend to use the best residential carpet cleaner. The carpet should also be vacuumed before cleaning starts. Vacuuming can be skipped though it is not recommended. You can also use warm water over the carpet so as to loosen the dirt.
- Prepare the carpet cleaner – This step is easy as it involves filling the tanks with water. Depending on the specific model, you can make the solution of soap and water before putting it in the tank or before. Once done, you need to replace the tanks on the machine and ensure they are well placed. Removing and reattaching the tanks may be tricky. Great care should be taken and if you do not know how to do it, it may be wise to consult the user manual provided by the manufacturer.
- Shampooing the carpet – once the machine has been prepared for use, the first step is to turn it on. The switch may differ in location depending on the model. The next step is to release the shampoo and to roll the brushes. This may be done by pulling a lever often located on the side. The lever should then be released so as to suction the water back into the pump. The carpet cleaner should then be pulled back over the strip of the carpet that it was first pushed over so as to suction back the water. This process needs to be repeated until the entire carpet has been cleaned.
If the stains are stubborn stains the process needs to be repeated over that same spot a number of times until the stains come off. You should note stains that are permanent and those that may need special techniques to remove them so as to avoid spending a lot of time on a stain that will not come off.
- Finishing – Once done the carpet should be left to dry. This may vary depending on the suction power of the carpet cleaner. While drying you may proceed to clean another area.
- Cleaning the carpet cleaner – After cleaning is done it is important to clean the machine so as to store it as it enhances its durability. The tanks should be removed and cleaned using soap and water solution. Other attachments used with the device can also be cleaned. They should then all be left to dry before reattaching them to the device and storing it. The surface of the device can be wiped clean to remove any dust that may have settled on it.
The best carpet cleaning machine in the market often ensures that the carpets are deep cleaned and also has a large suction power so as not to leave the carpets with a lot of water from the cleaning. The technology used on the machines has become advanced over time allowing even for a separate small reservoir where the cleaning formula is kept. This is a good feature as it allows for the clean water and the cleaning formula to be in separate reservoirs and thus the formula is only dispensed into the water when needed. As is advised in most carpet cleaner reviews and buying guides it is always important to find a model that has features best suited to meet your specific carpet cleaning needs. The cleaning formula used should also be the one advised by the manufacturer to ensure efficiency and durability of the machine as well as to avoid voiding your warranty.